Thursday, February 12, 2015

Almost 1 month done already!!!

Lacey Shimai and Coughanour

In Class at the MTC

Provo Utah Temple



Konnichiwa Kazoku!

I can't believe that I have been here for a month! It makes me sad that I only have 17 months left of my mission. My doryo and I decided that we really need to work harder to have a more successful mission. We don't want any regrets and we only have one shot. This week has been really good and I have learned a lot. I realized that I need to not be so timid in the language and during lessons I shouldn't rely on my notes so much. I think I'm going to try going into a lesson with nothing but scriptures and a Japanese dictionary and see how that works. An elder in the zone said this is why we have the MTC, to make mistakes and learn from them. I learned that its okay to mess up because then I can learn from my mistakes. Took me long enough, huh? 

I love my doryo (companion) so much. We learn a lot from each other. We realized that we have been through very similar situations, its almost scary.. We have been able to give each other advice and to learn from each other. The other day we had a good comp inventory. We realized that we have different mindsets on personal and companion inventory. She focuses just on the kyudosha (investigator) and I focus a lot on myself (what I need to do in the lesson). We noticed that she practically plans the lessons during personal study and then when its companion study there is nothing for me to really put in. We discussed this and read in Preach my Gospel and we decided that we both needed to change. I need to focus more on the investigator and she needs to focus more on herself and then we can come up with the lesson during companion study. I love her to death and we are already talking about rooming together in college when we get back from missions. 

I love my senseitachi (teachers) so much too. They teach so well in different ways. One day when Olsen Kyoudai was teaching he was telling us about experiences during his mission and one Shimai asked if we have to eat all the food people give us and he had us turn to Alma 8:21-22 and it says, 

" 21 And it came to pass that the man received him into his house; and the man was called Amulek; and he brought forth bread and meat and set before Alma. 22 And it came to pass that Alma ate bread and was filled; and he blessed Amulek and his house, and he gave thanks unto God." 

We thought it was so funny because Alma only ate the bread! Anyways that was just a funny story. 
I noticed that I second guess myself too much because when we are in class translating sentences I ask the sensei to check it and they're like "Lacey Shimai, that's perfect." I need to be more confident.  On Sunday, Coughanour shimai and I taught the district devotional on the Atonement and we loved it! Not only because it was in English, but because it is our favorite topic. We shared Elder Holland's video "None Were with Him".  It is such a powerful video. I love my district so much. The devotionals here are amazing. We learn so much. 

On Tuesday, Elder Larry Y. Wilson spoke and he talked about the power of the Book of Mormon and how we need to read with our investigators because only 1 out of 20 investigators who read the Book of Mormon on their own have a spiritual experience. We also need to make sure we have members helping investigators. 
Well, I love you all so much! I pray for you always! Thank you for all of your love and support. I love you all but I'm not really homesick... I picture myself at home and I would not be the same person I am now. I love you all so much! Have a great week! Aishitemasu!

Lacey Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment