Monday, January 25, 2016

Konnichiwa!

Skyping with Namatame before her baptism
New hairstyle





Add caption






















































皆さんこんにちは!

I can't even begin to describe how amazing this week was. To be honest I had a rough day Monday just kinda being down on myself for a lot of things. By the end of the day I said a prayer and felt better but Tuesday was amazing. In the morning during personal study for some reason I just couldn't focus and I kept looking at my wall with pictures and quotes. I got the impression to read one of Morgan's postcards and finally I took it down and it said exactly what I needed to hear. She talked about baptism and how I shouldn't be afraid to invite people to baptism and our job is to invite and their job is to accept. I had been really down that I hadn't been able to see a baptism yet but I was humbled. During that personal study I realized that I had just been thinking about myself and relying on my own strength. I finally was reminded Who's work this really is.

But wait, it gets better. A few hours later we had interviews with President and Sister Nagano and I ask President some questions on finding approach ideas and stuff but he advised me to talk to Sister Nagano about that. She said exactly what I needed and it confirmed what I learned earlier that morning. She said don't be afraid of "no's" but I told her I'm not so sure I'm afraid of the "no's" because I'm used to that, it's the "yes" that sometimes scares me because I don't want to mess it up.. She got a good laugh out of that. She told me I need to practice. She said so much that I learned from for my mission but especially for my whole life. If I learn the language of the Spirit the Lord can trust me with His work. She said learning the language of the Spirit is just like learning a foreign language; you have to make mistakes to get better. She also talked to me about baptism and it's okay if I don't see baptisms, as long as I'm following the Lords will through the Spirit, He is pleased and loves me. She told me to rely on the strength of the Lord and to look for that phrase in scriptures to help me and help people I teach. President and Sister Nagano are seriously incredible. President Nagano is like the candle, giving us the tools and ideas, and Sister Nagano is like the flame giving us desire.

So. Long story short, we set two baptismal dates this week!  Wednesday we met with Mayumi San and taught her the first lesson and it went amazing! The spirit was so strong and she wasn't quite sure she believed everything yet but she said she really wanted to know and committed to baptism! She's even reading the Book of Mormon on her own and asking us questions about it which is amazing! She is so cute and we met with her again Saturday and taught the plan of salvation with a member and I think that's when she really had a strong spiritual experience. We had just watched the worldwide missionary broadcast the day before and it was a lot about the spirit in conversion and it was amazing to see the spirit in her eyes when she gained a testimony of the Savior. She liked the lesson but it really hit her when we showed Because He Lives. There was a different light in her eyes and afterwards she kept saying how amazing Christ is and how incredible it is that He really was resurrected. She came to church again yesterday and had a great time and we made another appointment for this coming week!

I also wanted to share a cool experience that happened the same day we taught Mayumi the restoration. We taught her first and the Spirit was so strong. My Japanese was no where near perfect but through the spirit she was able to understand my words. A few hours later we had an appointment with another investigator who has been meeting with missionaries for awhile but sees no need for the gospel in her life. She just likes the missionaries and the members. Well, we had a member with us and we had planned to teach the exact same lesson as with
Mayumi but the outcome was completely different. The spirit was not there, I kept stumbling to find the right words and the investigator just wasn't interested. There came a point where I was about to stopthe lesson and say, "thank you for your time, but I want to go find someone to teach who will actually listen." But I didn't. Instead, when she said, "I just don't have a base like you all do. I wasn't raised with religion so I just had to make my own things up." Then right away a I threw Helaman 5:12 at her. "12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." She kinda was in shock. I told her to build her foundation on Christ and I testified of that. But shortly after she changed the subject. Lesson learned, there are prepared people and not prepared people. I just need to find the ones who are willing to learn.

Also, Vy is back! She is the most pure spirit I've ever met. She is from Vietnam. She had been sick for awhile and had a lot of essays to write but after next week or so she has a break with school. Anyways, we met with her and Horie kyoudai at the college and taught her the restoration. The language barrier is a little difficult but she understands through the spirit. We reset her baptismal date and she is so excited! She also came to church yesterday and had a great time. She has such a sweet calming spirit and people just love to be around
her. I'm so excited to continue working with her.

I was also able to skype my old investigator Namatame Shimai right before her baptism. I'm so blessed to be able to work with so much amazing people. I have learned and grown so much this week and I know it is because I am trying my hardest to understand and ask for the strength of the Lord. I know this is His work and He truly does have
prepared people here in Mito. I love being a missionary and I am finding so much joy in the work! Thank you for all your love and support! I miss you all! I love you!

Love, Sister Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment